On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:58:02 +1100, Charles Oliver Nutter
<charles.nutter / sun.com> wrote:

> I wasn't speaking as a language designer or an implementer; I was
> speaking as someone who'd like to be able to get C-like performance out
> of numeric operations in Ruby some day. Yes, it's still possible. But so
> is draining the ocean with an eyedropper.

Not being a "compiled to machine code" language, it seems impossible to me
that operations like Fixnum#+ will ever have "C-like performance". But is
is a nice goal I guess :)

However there are other ways to achieve this sort of thing, by providing
higher-level specialized classes (like Matrix) which are (or could be)
coded in C. Such libraries can be used by, for example, numerical analysis
applications to (hopefully) provide the speed required.

IMHO for most Ruby applications, not doing things like numerical analysis,
it doesn't matter all that much if Fixnum#+ et al. don't have "C-like
performance".

Cheers
Mike