Hello,

On Wednesday 03 December 2008 19:47:01 Brent Roman wrote:
> I'll be posting a set of patches to 1.8.7 on an ftp server
> in a week or so, with a URL to it here.  Thanks for
> agreeing to test it.

I'll definitely try it out, too.

> The "ghost VALUE references" would not be affected
> by the code changes you propose.  GCC's optimizer
> will just remove your attempts to initialize VALUEs to NULL.  Even if you
Actually that's not exact, according to my experiments - it optimizes away
assignments of NULL to a pointer. VALUE is not a pointer, and it doesn't
optimize away neither NULL nor 0 assignments (i tried with gcc 4.3.2)

Coincidently, GCC 4.4 is supposed to have an optimization for variables in
switch (see http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html), but unfortunately, if i
understand it correctly it's for constants only (i wonder if it's impossible
for variables, or just nobody has written it yet :)

Regards,
-- mb