On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Dave Thomas wrote:

#
# On Dec 17, 2003, at 5:54, nobu.nokada / softhome.net wrote:
# > $datadir is configurable regardless of $prefix and $libdir.  So
# > you can place them as you like.  What I really don't like is
# > hard-coded ones like $libdir/SOMETHING.
# >
#
# That's compelling: I like the decoupling here: we give the final
# control to the user. So, how about three standard search paths:
#
#      $datadir/rdoc/std/...   -- for doc installed as part of core Ruby
#      $datadir/rdoc/site/...  -- for system-wide doc installed by user
#     ~/.rdoc                  -- for personal doc
#
# Within each of these directories I could then have:
#
#        ...rdoc/html/...      -- for rdoc generated html
#        ...rdoc/ri/...        -- for rdoc generated RI files
#

This sounds good generally.  Did you mean it to be:
$datadir/rdoc/std/rdoc/html
   and
$datadir/rdoc/site/rdoc/ri

?

What's the reasoning behind site/rdoc and std/rdoc?  I may be misreading
this.

# (Of course, users can always use rdocs --op option to choose their own
# directories).
# Does this work for folks, or am I getting too complicated?
#

With the exclusion of my not understanding the duplicated "rdoc" in the
hierarchy, it looks good to me.

Chad