Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:20154] Re: [Bug #743] Socket.gethostbyname returns odd values"
    on Sat, 29 Nov 2008 04:21:54 +0900, "Alan Johnson" <alan.wayne.johnson / gmail.com> writes:

|Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question ... why do you care
|about ipv6 support in gethostbyname/gethostbyaddr?  These functions
|(the POSIX ones, not ruby) are known for having poor ipv6 support,
|which is a major reason why getaddrinfo/getnameinfo exist, and those
|should be the preferred methods used by anyone needing ipv6.

It's to help IPv6 transition.  Ordinary programmers still tend to use
gethostbyname in their programs.  Making these programs IPv6 ready
easier is more important than being compatible with underlying
functions of the platforms.  I assume that is/was the intention of the
original author (Itojun), who was an IPv6 Guru and had passed away
last year.

							matz.