Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Ah, maybe.  But this syntax can be spared for more fantastic purpose,
> such as defining a method only visible from enclosing method, for
> example.  You can redefine a method using #define_method.
>
> But your post made me think using this syntax in the future might be
> impossible.  It already abused somewhere (in the real code).  Sigh.
>
> 							matz.

Well, it's seem that i am the last man standing to save the underdog. To
me it is a definitively a feature.

I'm working now on a prolog evaluator that could be used as a librairy
extention for Ruby. i have wrote the original program in Pascal with a
lot of procedures with parameter call by reference to maximized the
performance. (I don't think that i have to explained to any of you, the
performance gain that could be obtained by using call by reference)

So i'm facing theses solutions to convert theses procedures:

- replace theses parameters with globals values (ugly)
- using one size array to emulate pointer (uglier)

or

declaring variables inside a method that are accessibles to all the
nested methods.

If someone have a 'rubyly correct' way's to solve my problem. I'm am
open. But keep in mind this: Prolog is a slow langage, so every
performance gain count !

As who see, i am facing a real life situation where nested methods seem
very useful and the more elegant solution.