Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:20098] Re: [Bug #797] bug or feature: local method ?"
    on Wed, 26 Nov 2008 03:52:55 +0900, Dave Thomas <dave / pragprog.com> writes:

|> Even though it's syntactically allowed, we have never made it
|> "official".  The current behavior is useless.  It's not a bug either.
|> It's undocumented and should not be used nor touched.  I'd like to
|> spare this syntax for the future.
|
|I don't think it's useless: it's a great way of having a method
|redefine itself after the first call.

Ah, maybe.  But this syntax can be spared for more fantastic purpose,
such as defining a method only visible from enclosing method, for
example.  You can redefine a method using #define_method.

But your post made me think using this syntax in the future might be
impossible.  It already abused somewhere (in the real code).  Sigh.

							matz.