On Dec 16, 2003, at 0:35, Minero Aoki wrote:
>> I have to say I really dislike this: I know it's probably "standard",
>> but is ends up spraying files all over the filesystem. It would seem
>> so
>> much more sensible to store files under a common subtree, so that
>> removing Ruby from a system takes no more than an rm -rf. Having used
>
> We already have these files:
>   $prefix/bin/ruby
>   $prefix/bin/irb
>   $prefix/bin/erb
>   $prefix/lib/ruby/
>   $prefix/lib/libruby*
>   $prefix/man/man1/ruby.1
>
> rm -rf does not work here.

Agreed - it is currently quite messy. However, things such as
$prefix/bin and the man stuff are all dictated by the Unix environment.
I'd rather not increase the mess when I add in the RDoc stuff. But
there's clearly something I'm missing here. Is there an advantage to
putting stuff under /usr/share?

Thanks

Dave