On Dec 16, 2003, at 0:08, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

>  * ~/.rdoc is not accurate: RDoc output forms part of a package's
>    installed documentation, but not all of it.  Other files include
>    README, TODO, ChangeLog, etc.  "~/.ruby_doc" is better.

The stuff in .rdoc is just RDoc documentation. The random other stuff
can go where it will, but I'd strongly suggest not putting it anywhere:
there's really no reason to pollute someone's filesystem by copying a
Changelog or TODO file out of a project structure and into the
mainstream.

>   /usr/lib/ruby/doc/1.8/             <system documentation directory>
>   /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/doc/1.8/   <site-wide documentation dir>
>   ~/.ruby/doc/1.8/                   <user's installed documentation>

Except the version number should come before /doc, because it has a
higher precedence, I think (remember the part about documentation being
version specific).

Dave