Hi,

  In mail "Re: Where to install documentation"
    Dave Thomas <dave / pragprog.com> wrote:

> > Using the standard install.rb, anything you include in a project's
> > "data"
> > directory will be installed to /usr/share/<package> or equivalent.

I agree with Gavin.
/usr/share/rdoc or /usr/share/ruby is preferable for this purpose.

> I have to say I really dislike this: I know it's probably "standard",
> but is ends up spraying files all over the filesystem. It would seem so
> much more sensible to store files under a common subtree, so that
> removing Ruby from a system takes no more than an rm -rf. Having used

We already have these files:

  $prefix/bin/ruby
  $prefix/bin/irb
  $prefix/bin/erb
  $prefix/lib/ruby/
  $prefix/lib/libruby*
  $prefix/man/man1/ruby.1

rm -rf does not work here.

If you are interesting in keeping all the related files in
one directory, try GNU stow.  I'm happy with stow system.

Best Regards,
Minero Aoki