--=-1227124371-506844-2498-7365-2-=

Hi All,

I'm attempting to package 1.8.7p72 for solaris as part of the
opencsw.org/blastwave.org projects.  This sees the build process done
on both i386 and sparc versions of solaris 8.  The build/install goes
fine, but I'm hitting a strange issue when building the ri system
docs.  The list of files generated is _different_ on the two
platforms, which means I can't release a single ARCH=all rubydoc
package.  The differences are slight (eg: only about 4 files [see
below]), but enough to cause problems.

I've been poking at this for a while now and can't seem to discover
where the issue is creeping in.  The only differences in the 2 source
trees seem sane (different macros and compiler options for the
different platforms, but nothing that looks amiss).

At this point, I think there must be some low-level issue between the
string libraries and the tokenization that happens during the rdoc ->
ri parsing...?

The only other oddity that I've detected is that when running `make
check`, there is a fatal error related to iconv (see below).  We're
linking against libiconv 1.9.2 currently.  This error is consistent on
both platforms.  From what I can see though, iconv isn't loaded at all
during the rdoc run (as evidenced by spitting out $" at the end of the
run...).

---snip---
  1) Error:
test_translit_option(TestIconv::Option):
Iconv::InvalidEncoding: invalid encoding ("SHIFT_JIS//TRANSLIT",
"EUC-JP//translit//ignore")
    ./test/iconv/test_option.rb:25:in `initialize'
    ./test/iconv/test_option.rb:25:in `new'
    ./test/iconv/test_option.rb:25:in `test_translit_option'