Martin,

Well.  Ummm.  If a compiler writes zeros then is it not setting the
value of variables that the spec says should remain undefined until
explicitly initialized?

Whether or not it violates the 'C' language spec, I don't know any way to
make gcc do this with existing compiler options or pragmas.

Does anyone else?

- brent