> On Dec 15, 2003, at 16:18, Eric Hodel wrote:
>
>> Dave Thomas (dave / pragprog.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Folks:
>>>
>>> The new RDoc/ri code needs to have a system-level directory on the
>>> user's machine where it can store the documentation. Where should
>>> this be? My current thinking is
>>>
>>>    $prefix/site_ruby/<ver>/doc/rdoc
>>>
>>> Does this fit in with current conventions?
>>
>> Not on FreeBSD, documentation goes in /usr/local/share/doc/
>> for third-party software.
>
> Except this isn't really documentation you can read - it's a bunch of
> yaml-serialized objects... Would it still go in a directory outside the
> Ruby tree?

This is like "data" for the ri "program".  An existing practice is to put
such data under /usr/share/ri, or similar.  The "fortune" program is a
good analogy, and I'm sure there are many others.

Using the standard install.rb, anything you include in a project's "data"
directory will be installed to /usr/share/<package> or equivalent.

Here is the appropriate line from rbconfig.rb:

    CONFIG["datadir"] = "$(prefix)/share"

Gavin