On Dec 15, 2003, at 15:59, Chad Fowler wrote:

> OWe have actually been doing the following for RubyGems (so far--we're
> of
> course open for suggestions):
>
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/#{ruby_version}/doc/#{gem_name}-#{gem_version}
>
> ...this is, of course, the standard rdoc html output--not the new ri
> intermediate form.

The problem here is that 'ri' will have a hard job finding the most
current among all these directories: I'm keen not to slow things down
too much.

It would be nice to have symbolic links so that:

    gems/1.8/doc/fred-latest

could always reference the latest version of 'fred' that's installed,
but I guess that couldn't work under Windows. Perhaps the simplest
thing would be always to install documentation to

    site_ruby/1.8/doc/...

and _also_ install it under the gems structure above. That way, 'ri
fred' would always find the last version installed, while you could
geta  specific version by giving ri a path to the specific doc
directory:

   ri -d /usr/local/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/...

However, I'd also question the gems structure here. Shouldn't the gems
stuff be under site_ruby? Perhaps

     /usr/local/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/gems/....

I have to admit I'm still confused by the Ruby directory standards:
some clarification would be very helpful from matz....

Cheers

Dave