------art_4206_29560565.1226386692902

Lots of responses here.
1) I'd be in favor of an object-based API. I'll probably post tomorrow with
some thoughts on that. I only provided the tuple-based API because already
have it in all impls (except 1.9) and it already works.

2) I agree that there are potentially more powerful things that we *could*
do. However, those things would take a lot of time to get right. This
feature is simple and limited enough to be definitely supportable across
implementations, and possible to nail down quickly and efficiently.

What I specifically would like to avoid is a very long discussion about
trying to get a perfect, large API to handle a superset of these features
(such as full support for a locked-down AST), when the simple version would
be extremely helpful all on its own.

Hope that made sense,

-- Yehuda

--
Yehuda Katz
Developer | Engine Yard

------art_4206_29560565.1226386692902

&gt; are doing something like:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp;case RUBY_ENGINE<br>
&gt; &nbsp;when &#39;mri&#39;<br>
&gt; &nbsp;when &#39;jruby&#39;<br>
&gt; &nbsp;...<br>
&gt; &nbsp;end<br>
&quot;docstrings&quot; and/or parse trees of methods would be even more powerful<br>
overall :)<br>
Stay well.<br>

------art_4206_29560565.1226386692902--