------art_4222_8751010.1226386964707

Narihiro,
I want to say "thank you" for working on this feature. A copy-on-write
version of MRI that was supported by ruby-core would be fantastic. The Merb
team has added support for features that take advantage of Ruby Enterprise
Edition's GC patches. Having something similar (but faster) in Ruby Core
would help us a lot. We're looking forward to seeing it merged into the core
(with no SEGVs ;) )

Out of curiosity, on another related topic, is any work being done on a
compacting GC? I have found that memory fragmentation can make Ruby
processes significantly larger than you would expect.

Thanks again! We really appreciate your work,

-- Yehuda

--
Yehuda Katz
Developer | Engine Yard

------art_4222_8751010.1226386964707

&gt; &nbsp;&quot;the Ruby core team is working on their own solution for a better GC and it<br>
&gt; should be available soon. (Ruby 1.9.x)&quot;<br>
I making bitmap marking gc.<br>
This is same approach of REE(RubyEnterpriseEdition) GC.<br>
However, the different point is search technique of the bitmap position.<br>
The REE bitmap position search is a linear search[O(n)].<br>
But ruby 1.9.x heap slot fix 16KB. Thus, heaps contain many heap slot.<br>
Search time of the BitMap position becomes the problem more.<br>
I made a bitmap position search by the alignment technique.[O(1)].<br>
This method is not relate to number of heap slot.<br>
This patch url is<br>
<a hrefttp://github.com/authorNari/ruby/tree/master/patch/gc_bitmap_by_align_to_v_1_9_0_4.patch" targetblank">http://github.com/authorNari/ruby/tree/master/patch/gc_bitmap_by_align_to_v_1_9_0_4.patch</a><br>
# This is incomplete. The reason is because SEGV occurs in make test :)<br>
Regards<br>
--<br>

------art_4222_8751010.1226386964707--