On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 6:05:59 AM, Dave wrote:

> Folks:

> The new RDoc/ri code needs to have a system-level directory on the
> user's machine where it can store the documentation. Where should this
> be? My current thinking is

>     $prefix/site_ruby/<ver>/doc/rdoc

> Does this fit in with current conventions?

I read $prefix as "/usr/local" or "/usr" or "C:/Ruby", etc.  That's
what Config::CONFIG['prefix'] will give you.  On that reading,
$prefix/site_ruby doesn't exist.

Currently, when I perform a Ruby install, and also install 'ri', both
the Ruby docs (README, samples, etc.) and the 'ri' docs go into one
central directory.  That is:

   $prefix/doc/ruby

I'm happy with that, as 'doc' and 'lib' are different concerns.

FYI, RubyGems installs things, including rdoc output, underneath

   $prefix/lib/ruby/gems/<ver>

At the end of the day, I'll be very happy to see a standard central
place to install documentation.  'rbconfig' must be modified to
support it.

Gavin