On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Yehuda Katz <wycats / gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to propose a way to introspect into the arguments of a method
> object. Merb uses this feature, which is already available via ParseTree in
> 1.8.6, via compile-time in Rubinius, and via internal structures in JRuby.
> I'd like to formalize the API so it can be added to 1.9, which cannot use
> ParseTree.

> The API would return a tuple representing the arguments.

Why a tuple, aside from being what's provided by the ParseTree API? I
like the idea, I'm just worried that a tuple may be a bit too opaque
for something that isn't called often. (We could make it two calls
that return a tuple vs. something more descriptive if performance is
an issue.) I also was reading not too long ago a section of David
Black's forthcoming "Well Grounded Rubyist" that tried to express the
different types of parameter lists available in Ruby 1.9 -- how does
this return value match up with what's actually possible?

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca