At 18:38 08/10/31, Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
>Hi,
>
>At Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:07:16 +0900,
>Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote in [ruby-core:19546]:
>> Anyway, I think I understand the needs to specify source
>> encoding without magic comments.  Is the option for that
>> purpose an acceptable solution?
>
>Here is the patch to add options:

Great work!

>  --encoding=external:internal:source
>  --external-encoding=enc
>  --internal-encoding=enc
>  --source-encoding=enc

I personally don't like the last one, and the :source in the first
one, but I guess there are situations where they can be very helpful
(e.g. testing with different encodings).

I also think that it would be good to have the values of --encoding
and -E look/work the same, so unless :source already works on -E,
I think having just --source-encoding for the case that the
source encoding must be set by an option should be okay.
This will also make it easier to distinguish in documentation
that --source-encoding is really only for very special occasions,
and declaring the source encoding in the script itself is strongly
preferred.

Regards,    Martin.