Issue #641 has been updated by Roger Pack.

Trying it on Linux I get about the difference between 1.84s [current gc.c] and 1.83s [patched].

I think that we can see more difference if we use more memory.  Changing the test file's line
1_000_000.times { a << [3] }
to be
10_000_000.times { a << [3] }

on Linux for me this shows
new:
 @real=17.7093026638031,

normal:
 @real=18.3347587585449

so...overall I'd call it a small improvement.
Some things to note: you may have to run the test files several times to get a "best" result, and also [note to myself] I always have to run make install after making changes because for some reason it relies on previously installed libraries, despite the local code being different.
Thanks!
-=Roger

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org