Robert Klemme wrote:
> 2008/10/24 C.E. Thornton <admin / hawthorne-press.com>:
>
>> I have a Ruby Utility that have have been using
>> a long time that scans my main directory and reports
>> the size of each directory.  It has worked for two years
>> and now all of a sudden there has been a change in
>> 1.8.7 that causes a "too many open files" exception.
>>
>> This change may have been introduced in the last couple
>> of months.
>>
>> I ran the same program with 1.9.0 and it DOES NOT
>> exhibit the problem.
>>

> Sounds like an environmental (ulimit) or compile issue.  Did you rule those out?
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

Well I have not changed it in at least 18 months,
and until recently it always ran fine.  The code
also runs unmodified on 1.9.0 latest without
problems.  It appears that some change has taken
place recently in the 1.8.7 baseline.

I was hoping that someone might know of a recent
change that could contribute to this problem.

The program scans the dir tree.  It normally is scanning
a tree of 40,000 plus files without problems.  Now I
can only get it to work on dir trees of under a couple
hundred files.

It would take some work to scale down my program to
a minimal program that exhibits the problem.   If no one
knows what might be the problem, I will start trying to
narrow the program down to a test case.

Chuck T.

--
Competency and chastity have much in common,
they both encompass their own punishment!

-- C.E. Thornton -- Hawthorne Press --