Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>
>> I think this is fine, and could stay:
>>
>> ->{|x, y|}
>
> I don't believe that's valid MRI syntax.

Ok, I think I misinterpreted some other emails then. So the argument
appears to be in favor of backing down from stabby lambda completely
since normal block syntax can support the various argument features, yes?

I would say that I agree that a literal lambda syntax would be good to
have; not only does it make it possible to statically analyze a method
and see that it has literal closures, it reduces the amount of text
necessary. This alone was why I did not outright oppose the idea of
stabby lambda, but then the syntax got pretty weird.

So perhaps ->{|x,y|} as a literal lambda syntax is on the table? It
essentially is no different from lambda {|x,y|} except that there's no
method call involved in constructing the lambda object. If lambda
{|x,y|} can support all syntax, then ->{|x,y|} should as well.

Or perhaps a keyword for a literal lambda could be introduced.

- Charlie