Hi Matz & Bill,

Great!  I'm glad this work has the potential of being useful.  I'll
clean up
the patch a bit and post it.  One thing that I haven't done is to
integrate
my ad-hoc tests which exercise the creation and manipulation of files
under
non-english pathing.

If anyone has a complete set of tests focused at non-english paths...
throw it my way.

I should be able to clean things up and post in the next couple
weeks... I'll
hurry.

very best,
lloyd