Fujioka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Test/Unit was replaced to Miniunit.
> Miniunit deprecated these 4 methods :
>  assert_{not_equal, no_match, not_nil, not_same},
> and replaced to refute_{equal, match, nil, same}
> Ruby's assertion methods had 'assert' prefix.
> But refute_ is not useful name because:
> when I want to use assertion methods,
>  I will enter 'assert' to search box.

I dislike refute. Refute is to prove something wrong, not to prove the
negative condition right. When writing tests I want to assert, not
refute. I want to prove things are right, prove a behavior does what I
expect...not disprove it.

Refute is what the test does upon failure; it refutes my assertion by
showing it fails. I put assertions into my test and hope the test run
does not refute them.

Look at the two primary definitions Google brings up:

    1.  To prove to be false or erroneous; overthrow by argument or
proof: refute testimony.
    2. To deny the accuracy or truth of: refuted the results of the poll.

I don't want to do either of these with my test conditions.

- Charlie