On Oct 8, 2:47=A0pm, "Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at" <radek.bu... / gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm one of the many non-native-english-speaking users of Ruby, and I
> > didn't even know that the word "refute" existed at all.
>
> I'm not native and I didn't know word "refute" too. assert_not_equal
> is very easy to understand for most of people because it's assertion
> (assert) and it's about negate (not) equality (equal). refute_equal is
> bad because:
> - for most of non-native speaker tells nothing
> - it's new method in test-unit world
>
> Ruby's api doesn't have to be poetry. Seriously.

For the obvious impaired there is

  assert_unequal

However, I admit the pattern doesn't carry over to the other
assertions. I mean who ever heard of assert_unraises? Perhaps helpful
in zombie situations, but I generally avoid those in all usecases.

On the other hand, we could take a queue from '!' as in  "!=3D" and
write:

  assert_equal!

Read it like "assert equal, NOT!"

See http://www.spike.com/video/borat-not-joke/2782157 for cultural