On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM, James Gray <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2008, at 5:09 AM, Martin Duerst wrote:
>> There has been some disconnect lately between ruby-dev and ruby-core
>> about default_internal. For a while, I planned to help out a bit,
>> but didn't get around to it until today.
> Thank you.  We appreciate your effort.

>> IMPORTANT: The default for default_external is the locale.
>> The default for default_internal is UTF-8.
> Interesting.  So we are planning to legitimize the Ruby 1.8 strategy of
> always working with UTF-8?
>
> I think that's probably a big win.  Fixing CSV was too hard.  :)
>
> I'm surprised though.  I thought the whole point of the m17n changes was to
> avoid this.

From what I'm understanding, it's still there for the people who need
it, and it should work without compromise.

That said, my impression of the above is that libraries should either
fail noisily if default_internal is an unsupported value, or it should
go through the effort you went through to work with various supported
default_internal values. I think that some libraries (including
possibly CSV) should make that effort, while others won't need it.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca