Hi Ryan,

2008/9/30 Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com>:

> On Sep 25, 2008, at 09:02 , Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>
>> Basically, the method names in ruby use plain form if they are verbs.
>> Ruby is not English, nor Ruby does not belong to English speaking
>> people (although it uses a lot of English words).
>
> I don't think anyone has claimed that ruby is English or that in belongs to
> anyone or anything...

matz said: ``Basically, the method names in ruby use plain form if
they are verbs.''  Why is only assert_raises an exception?

> but where it uses English, it should use the best
> English choice available.

I guess this thought is ``Ruby belongs to English speaking people.''

assert_raise is a mere method in the standard library of ruby.  So I
think it should respect the basis of ruby unless there is a compelling
reason.

Especially about assert_raise, in test/unit, assert_raises is deprecated
and assert_raise is provided instead.  Reversing them is too confusing
to me.  If you want to deprecate assert_raise by any means, I think you
must suggest a new name that is neither assert_raise nor assert_raises.

Now, the most important problem is the fact that we have little time to
disscuss it.  We must decide it ASAP.  But according to my experience,
method name problems do often need long time.

I think that the suggestion that changes assert_raise was too late and
missed 1.9 freeze deadline.

--
Yusuke ENDOH <mame / tsg.ne.jp>