On Sep 25, 1:57=A0pm, _why <w... / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> I don't want to be indelicate and we can address this some other
> time. =A0Maybe a good place for an easter egg would be as a virtual
> global variable. =A0Global vars are a rather open namespace and if we
> kept the code in C none of the strings here would be allocated until
> needed. =A0I think ts would appreciate that efficiency, perhaps?
>
> Anyway, what do you think about an $ABOUT with a singleton?
>
> =A0 $ABOUT =3D %{"Maybe because Ruby is a mansion, a backdoor is bigger t=
han you expect."\n =A0- matz}
> =A0 def $ABOUT.ts
> =A0 =A0 %{"I know nothing, I just ask ruby what it do."\n =A0- Guy Decoux=
 (1955 - 2008)}
> =A0 end
>
> From [ruby-talk:20662] and [ruby-talk:5795], respectively.
>
> In ruby.c, this becomes:
>
> =A0 static VALUE
> =A0 rb_about_ts(VALUE self)
> =A0 {
> =A0 =A0 return rb_str_new2("\"I know nothing, I just ask ruby what it do.=
\"\n =A0- Guy Decoux (1955 - 2008)");
> =A0 }
>
> =A0 static VALUE
> =A0 rb_about()
> =A0 {
> =A0 =A0 VALUE about =3D rb_str_new2("\"Maybe because Ruby is a mansion, a=
 backdoor is bigger than you expect.\"\n =A0- matz");
> =A0 =A0 rb_define_singleton_method(about, "ts", rb_about_ts, 0);
> =A0 =A0 return about;
> =A0 }
>
> Then, in ruby_prog_init:
>
> =A0 rb_define_virtual_variable("$ABOUT", rb_about, 0);
>
> _why

I'm not so sure this is guy's style. Of course, I did not know him
that well (who did?). But guy was probably the most concise and to the
point poster among us. So I'm not so sure he'd be so keen on easter
eggs in the language.

I think naming a major release after him in dedication would be very
nice though --and a memorial of some sort at RubyConf.

T.