At 02:13 08/09/18, NARUSE, Yui wrote:

>Yes, they have private use area codepoints, but I think they are not reasonable.
>
>The first reason is that the area is Private Use Area.
>
>Moreover there are some mobile phone careers in Japan and they define own emoji.
>And their PUA codepoints is conflicted.
>http://creation.mb.softbank.jp/web/web_pic_about.html
>
>So they can't be 'Uni'code yet.

Just for everybody's information, the Unicode Technical Committee
(UTC) is working on encoding these into Unicode. But this is not at
all an easy job. Contrary to most characters, most emoji are in color.
Contrary to all previous characters, some emoji are actually
animations. Also, some may have copyright or trademark issues.
So a lot of issues have to be considered carefully.
The UTC is also working on Japanese TV symbols and on emoticons
(presumably from various instant messaging services and the like).

On the other hand, the mappings given by the companies are also
not worked out. As an example, on
http://creation.mb.softbank.jp/web/web_pic_03.html, the copyright
and (R) sign, the zodiac signs, and heart/diamond/clover/...
at least can easily be mapped to pre-existing Unicode characters
without problems.

It would be good if the Japanese mobile carriers and others
would recognize that inventing new "characters" isn't the right
way to satisfy the needs of their customers for fancy little
images, but as with most other stupidities in character encoding,
it takes a while for the people involved directly to figure this
out.

Anyway, if we were really serious in Ruby about handling these,
we would have to introduce encodings such as Shift_JIS-NTT-Docomo,
Shift_JIS-Softbank, and Shift_JIS-kddi-au or so, to make sure
there is no mixup in the original encoding.

Regards,    Martin.