On Sep 19, 2008, at 2:52 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> I am sorry if my phrase appeared offensive.  UTF-16 is a nasty beast,
> but as I stated we have other beasts (dummy encodings), so that simply
> removing UTF-16 would help us little.  We have to do it consistently,
> if we do.

Actually, I think it would be perfectly OK to remove runtime support
for UTF-16, if you make input and output possible.  I can't think of
any practical advantages to handling multiple UCS encodings, for
regexing or parsing or splitting or matching.  UTF-16 is horrible; C#
and Java will be paying the price for choosing 16-bit characters long
after we're dead.  -Tim