On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:24:41 +1000, Yukihiro Matsumoto
<matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote:

> If there's any idea to make Ruby's Unicode support better,
> let us hear.  But no thanks in advance for the proposals to abandon
> what we have now. ;-)

I assume that you are referring to my suggestion to remove support for
"non-ASCII compatible" encodings? I don't think that it is an unreasonable
proposal given the fact that it is so difficult to handle them. I have
often pulled out features in software I have written that seemed a "good
idea at the time" but later turned out out not to be. I am not saying that
they are a bad idea, but I currently cannot see their value as a
"fully-fledged" internal encoding, and I was concerned that supporting
them may make a "rod for your own back" when it comes to handling them in
libraries.

Of course you are the boss when it comes to Ruby, but I feel that you
could have phrased this statement ("But no thanks in advance....") a
little better. It and the "Unicode whiners" comment are rather offensive I
feel. We are only trying to help.

Mike.