Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yukihiro Matsumoto" <matz / ruby-lang.org>
To: <ruby-core / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:03 PM

> If you can do implicit conversion at I/O, why do you have to care
> about encoding mixing?  Your program should treat single encoding
> anyway.  Auto-conversion is bad, believe me.

I/O is only one way I can get data.
For example, when I get data via HTTP, how do I control what encoding Ruby's
libraries are going to use to return data? I assume I'll get whatever
encoding is specified in the HTTP header, so I'll have to remember to
convert to UTF-8. It is dangerous to assume that I'll always get UTF-8 data
via HTTP.

Mike