----- Original Message -----
From: "Austin Ziegler" <halostatue / gmail.com>
To: <ruby-core / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:42 AM

>> Nevertheless, a persisting fix is needed, and I think writing more
>> and more clutches for encoding conversion goes the wrong way. This
>> might still be needed for legacy file support, but day-to-day work
>> should not have to deal with this issue so prominently.
>
> Day-to-day work *doesn't*.
>
> Deal with all of your stuff in a single encoding (UTF-8, UTF-16,
> whatever) and you don't even have to think about it.
>
> If you *ever* deal with more than one encoding, you're going to run
> into this problem in *any* language.

I nearly agree with you, except that these days "day-to-day" work can
involve using data from web sites, from email, from RPC servers etc. Unless
you know that your HTTP, SMTP classes etc are going to return data in your
locale's encoding, you may very well be dealing with more than one encoding.

Cheers
Mike