On 17/09/2008, Tanaka Akira <akr / fsij.org> wrote:
> In article <a5d587fb0809170303x71ebde31r8adae082b82af182 / mail.gmail.com>,
>
>   "Michal Suchanek" <hramrach / centrum.cz> writes:
>
>  > Can I ask what character(s) that would be?
>

> KATAKANA LETTER SE WITH SEMI-VOICED SOUND MARK for example.
>
>  This character is placed at JIS X 0213 plane 1 row 5 column 92.
>  http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/228.pdf
>
>  In unicode, it is represented by
>  KATAKANA LETTER SE with
>  COMBINING KATAKANA-HIRAGANA SEMI-VOICED SOUND MARK.
>

>  > I thought that every Kanji and Kana character has its codepoint in
>  > either encoding so there is never any reason to split or join
>  > characters while recoding into a different encoding.
>

> It is true in JIS X 0208.  But it is not true in JIS X 0213,
>  newer japanese character set standard.

My guess is this is not very common letter. I have no idea what it
means but then I have no idea about many other less obscure
combinations either.

The situation is not unlike some combinations of Latin letters with
combining accent marks. I believe there are some combinations that may
be useful in some situations but do not have a single combined
codepoint in Unicode although there might be one in some specialized
encoding.

This is a limitation of Unicode and various encodings in general.
There is not much that can be done about that.

Thanks

Michal