Hi,
   I posted to comp.lang.ruby a while back about keeping the port of
Ruby to BeOS alive.  I didn't want to chime in on this list until I had
fixed things up a bit around here (just installed Ubuntu so I have some
space to experiment) but now I think I'm ready to plough ahead and see if
I can get 1.9.0 running under BeOS.

(For those not familiar, BeOS is a very nice OS that went defunct 6? years
ago, but is still actually very much alive in the form of 'Haiku' -- an
open-source, API-compatible rebuild of the system.  The first public
release should be some time this year.)

I've had 1.8.4 running on my  BeOS system for a couple of years, and I
make extensive use of it.  Seems to handle everything I've thrown at it.
(It passes 'make test', but I just recently found that 'make test_all'
hangs in the drb section.  Haven't pursued that.)  I've never bothered
to recompile later versions because 1.8.4 matches my edition of Pickaxe.

My current state is that I've just successfully dowloaded and compiled
the stable 1.8.7 sources on my Ubuntu system, and have tried the same
with the svn'ed 1.9.0.  There seem to be some issues with the latter,
though -- in particular 'make test' gives 42 errors!  Is this expected
at this stage?

My next step will be to bring the sources over to BeOS and try to get
things working there.  (I did have to tweak makefiles and things to get
a good compile, and I'll have to recover all that.)

I should hope that most things will 'just work' as they do with 1.8.4,
but there may always be a few incompatible modules and such. I hope
this will be acceptable to the Powers That Be, as -- at least until
Haiku is released (:-)) -- the user base is small.

					-- Pete Goodeve --