Hi --

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Kornelius Kalnbach wrote:

> David A. Black wrote:
>> I think that in every imaginable case, if you
>> didn't mean to put the comma, you'd find out very quickly and could
>> fix it.
> That's the problem: If the "first line" of your method is an assignment,
> Ruby interprets it as an optional parameter, and everything works, as
> long as you don't use the additional parameter. It could lead to some
> really strange errors - or even security problems, maybe.

But at some point, when you test it, you'll realize that something
isn't working right. I definitely would not want to be warned about
it, which is tantamount to making it illegal since putting a \ at the
end of the line is ugly and redundant.

David

   Intro to Ruby on Rails  January 12-15   Fort Lauderdale, FL
   Advancing with Rails    January 19-22   Fort Lauderdale, FL *
   * Co-taught with Patrick Ewing!