David A. Black wrote:
> I think that in every imaginable case, if you
> didn't mean to put the comma, you'd find out very quickly and could
> fix it.
That's the problem: If the "first line" of your method is an assignment,
Ruby interprets it as an optional parameter, and everything works, as
long as you don't use the additional parameter. It could lead to some
really strange errors - or even security problems, maybe.

Jeremy: Problem is, I don't like parentheses, and never use them unless
I have to :) I consider them noise. But indeed, this case is an argument
for the using them.

Anyway,

  def file_replace(filename, file,
    files = document.files)