On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Michael Selig <michael.selig / fs.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 03:43:54 +1000, NARUSE, Yui <naruse / airemix.jp> wrote:
>

> Yes, I know you can use that. I was just questioning whether it makes sense
> for Ruby to stick with "b" meaning simply the newline & end of file
> handling, without changing the character handling also. I felt that it makes
> much more sense that IO#readchar (et al) return bytes when the file is
> opened with "b". That behaviour may also be more backward compatible with
> 1.8.

I like the idea of defaulting encoding to BINARY (ASCII-8BIT) when
opened with "b".
This is something that has tripped me up from time to time even after
understanding the distinction.

I think the most common use of "b" may be for binary files, so it
might be a sensible default.  I understand if this is a bit murky from
a purity standpoint, though.

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com | Non-tech