On Aug 19, 2:48=A0am, "C.E. Thornton" <ad... / hawthorne-press.com> wrote:

> Yeah, that got me too!
>
> When expand_path() expands a path containing a leading tilde(~)
> AND the directory name associated with it is a USER NAME in
> the system it ASSUMES you specifying the home area of that user!
>
> For example, =A0if I am in '/home/thornton/test' and it contains a dir
> '~thornton' expand_path() returns '/home/thornton' NOT
> '/home/thornton/test/~thornton'

Is this common practice? I mean it seems like a sucky edge case to
have to fuss with. Why not just have a separate method for that, say

  File.home_path('thornton')

I don't mind '~/' converting to HOME so much, but this USER NAME thing
seems too much, as indicated by the need of yet another method
#absolute_path.

MO,
T.