On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 13:17 +0900, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
> It will be trivial to implement this in MacRuby, and I think it's
> quite useful to allow the developer to retrieve this kind of
> information. Currently we can achieve the same goal using DTrace,
> which can be activated on any running script, at the contrary of this
> solution which requires to call GC::Profiler.enable. But still, this
> is a neat idea, I think.

Well ... in the absence of a DTrace port to Windows and Linux, yes.
Since you *do* have DTrace, perhaps the energy to do this on MacOS
wouldn't be well spent.

I'm told by the SystemTap folks that it can be made to do this, and
"oprofile" can certainly tell you in great detail (plus or minus a
couple of lines of assembly code) exactly where you're spending your
time. I'm planning on digging into SystemTap next month.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
ruby-perspectives.blogspot.com

"A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems." --
Alfrd Rnyi via Paul Erds