On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Daniel Luz <dev / mernen.com> wrote:
> Good idea. My only immediate suggestion is...
>
>> * GC::Profiler.enable?
> I think "enabled?" would be more appropriate.
>

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 12:22 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Excellent idea!! Now, can all the other implementers build something
>> like this? ;)
>
> Any implementation which writes its own garbage collector should, in
> principle, be able to offer the same feature. Not sure about the others
> (JRuby, IronRuby and MacRuby come to mind), though. But IMO this is not
> enough of a reason to give up the GC profiler: no production software would
> really miss it, and it's not like people using one of those platforms don't
> have other (possibly better) choices for profiling and debugging tools.

It will be trivial to implement this in MacRuby, and I think it's
quite useful to allow the developer to retrieve this kind of
information. Currently we can achieve the same goal using DTrace,
which can be activated on any running script, at the contrary of this
solution which requires to call GC::Profiler.enable. But still, this
is a neat idea, I think.

Laurent