HI,

 Not to belabor a point, But....

 I see several use cases for a different path expansion method.

Shouldn't a program be able to expand ANY legitimate relative path
without worrying that some directory in a given tree contains a
dir  '~name' where the name "just" happens to be a user on your system?

I can see the point of  'expand_path'  following the current convention, but
shouldn't there be a way to scan a directory tree without incurring errors
for legal directory names?

 It would follow these rules:
 1)    ~current_user   = /home/current_user
 2)    Any other directory specification, whether prefixed with
        a tilde or not would be interpreted literally.

 Suggested Method Names:   expand_absolute()
                                               absolute_path()

 This method of this type would not produce errors for legitimate
directory structures.

Chuck T.

--
Competency and chastity have much in common,
they both encompass their own punishment!

-- C.E. Thornton -- Hawthorne Press --