Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: [ruby-core:17935] Re: Expand_Path:  New Patch - Modified Processing"
>     on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 04:14:01 +0900, "C.E. Thornton" <admin / hawthorne-press.com> writes:
>
> |  Why should a function that expands relative paths to
> |absolute paths produce an ERROR when it can avoid it.
> |
> |Thats what we are talking about.  I have a directory that
> |expand_path deliberately ignores and produces an error.
> |
> |What is the rational behind that?
>
> Just because specifying non-existing user in expand_path is most
> likely to be an error.  I think an error should be reported early,
> instead of running ignorantly.  If you want to expand a path to a file
> starting with tilde, you can always specify "./~foo".
>
> 							matz.

OK,  I give in.  There is a number of ways to get around it.

I was generally trying to solve a use case.  I was scanning a directory
tree and wanted to display to absolute path for each target file.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your position.

                 chuck

--
Competency and chastity have much in common,
they both encompass their own punishment!

-- C.E. Thornton -- Hawthorne Press --