Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:17935] Re: Expand_Path:  New Patch - Modified Processing"
    on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 04:14:01 +0900, "C.E. Thornton" <admin / hawthorne-press.com> writes:

|  Why should a function that expands relative paths to
|absolute paths produce an ERROR when it can avoid it.
|
|Thats what we are talking about.  I have a directory that
|expand_path deliberately ignores and produces an error.
|
|What is the rational behind that?

Just because specifying non-existing user in expand_path is most
likely to be an error.  I think an error should be reported early,
instead of running ignorantly.  If you want to expand a path to a file
starting with tilde, you can always specify "./~foo".

							matz.