Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> There was already a patch available about the same subject:
>     http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=11497&group_id=426&atid=1700
>
> The patch in itself does nothing special: it simply adds a fast way to know how
> many objects are currently allocated. But ruby-prof integration allows object
> allocation profiling.
>
> It does not allow to dump the current state of the stack, and does not provide
> type information (i.e. which object type is being allocated). Since ruby-prof
> gives call stacks, type information is easily deduced from which #new method is
> called.
>
> Sylvain

Yes, other people at my place of employment have used ruby-prof and
found it significantly useful.

We specifically needed to be able to send a signal to a long-running
process and have it dump out the current state of the stack AS WELL AS
tracking which checkpoint the objects belonged to.  The key part for us
was the ability to mark objects as part of a specific checkpoint so we
could see which objects were sticking around when they shouldn't.

Thank you for pointing out other related efforts.  :)