Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:17874] Re: Expand_Path:  New Patch - Modified Processing"
    on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 03:36:22 +0900, "C.E. Thornton" <admin / hawthorne-press.com> writes:

|   It is not a failure of user name!
|
|   If the directory contains a dir named '~test', it is
|a perfectly acceptable dir name.  As long as the 'name'
|part of  '~name' is NOT a user name, it should be valid!
|
| Lets look at how BASH Processes these directories:
|
|      cd ~chuck     (A user name on my system)
|          returns /home/chuck
|      cd ~test         (test is NOT a user name on my system)
|          returns 'current_dir/~test'    <== Why should this produce an error?

Interestingly, zsh raises error for non-existing user name.

  zsh% echo ~matz
  /home/matz
  zsh% echo ~foo
  zsh: no such user or named directory: foo
  zsh% echo /tmp/~foo
  /tmp/~foo

Hence I don't consider this behavior a bug.

							matz.