On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Urabe Shyouhei <shyouhei / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> +1 to David.  A convenient way to do Marshal idiom should be a new
> method rather than an extension to existing dup semantics.

I strongly disagree with this, it looks like an ugly workaround to me.
Either dup shall not exist for any immutable class, this is the status
quo, I believe.
Or it should be returning self for immutable objects. This does not
seem dangerous to me as the values
are immutable anyway. As such I feel #dup! much misleading.

Cheers
Robert

--
http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/

There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
--
Ernest Hemingway