Please excuse the blog spam.

We (Nexopia.com) just released a small patch which may be useful to some
of you who are trying to track down memory issues with Ruby.  The patch
allows for checkpointing and dumping of all reachable objects, and
logging of newly created objects.

This is designed to give much more information than
ObjectSpace.each_object can give.  Because of the increased memory
requirements and slower object allocation, this is inappropriate for
most production environments.

It applies against Ruby 1.8.6-p114.  If you have any fixes or
enhancements, please feel free to contact me directly or add a comment
to the blog post.

More details and the patch itself are available at:
http://blog.nexopia.com/2008/07/17/ruby-object-allocation-tracking/