On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Yusuke ENDOH <mame / tsg.ne.jp> wrote:
> Hi Rocky,
>
> 2008/7/17 Rocky Bernstein <rocky.bernstein / gmail.com>:
>> So I guess this means
>> that in order to get code coverage,  one needs to do add
>> VM::InstructionSequence.compile_option = { trace_instruction : true }
>> just like one does to get line tracing.
>
> No, trace instructions for coverage event are installed
> independently of compile_option.  See ADD_TRACE in compile.h.

My mistake I was looking at a very old version of this file. But
here's the observation - if these instructions get put in more of the
time than line trace events, whether by accident or by intention, one
can write a trace hook that triggers on "instruction coverage" and
treat that exactly like a line event.

> In addition, this coverage feature is not for the casual users.
> So I think, even if compile_option need to be set, it's only
> necessary for developper of coverage tool to do it.  The casual
> users don't to have to think about it.

That may be true, but I think it also true that casual users don't
generally write trace hooks or debuggers.