M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Yugui (Yuki Sonoda) wrote:
>> * dtrace (1.9.2?)
> 1. How is "dtrace" a Ruby feature? Is this the same "dtrace" that runs
> on Solaris and MacOS?

Joyent's dtrace patch is very useful. So I want to merge it into Ruby 1.9.
 http://svn.joyent.com/opensource/dtrace/ruby/

> That "dtrace" is an awesome tool, but as far as I
> know it is only available on Solaris and MacOS.

Right. So I intend to define an abstract tracing API and use dtrace for
an implementation of it.
gc.c and thread.c have its own tracing APIs, which are usually disabled
at compile time. I think these APIs should be also exposed as dtrace probes.

On other than Solaris and MacOS, the tracing API will be disabled at
compile time. Or, it can have implementations based on other technologies.

We need more discussion on this topic. So the "dtrace" (or "the tracing
API") will not included in 1.9.1. It will be included 1.9.2 or later.

--
Yugui <yugui / yugui.jp>
http://yugui.jp