On Monday 24 November 2003 09:15 pm, Sean E Russell wrote:

> I do have to say that this is the singularly unfortunate thing about Ruby
> 1.x -- the lack of parametric method dispatching combined with the lack of
> named parameters is a really caustic combination[1].  What you end up
> doing, as a developer, is making these monolithic methods that take every
> possible argument, and contain a huge case statement that tries to make
> sense of the arguments.  It makes for really bad code, and it is
> unavoidable because there's no other solution in Ruby except to use hashed
> parameters, which are also problematic.  I'll be really happy when we get
> named parameters.

If such arguments will become named parameters in the future, then it is
probably best to use the Hash argument for now. While it may have some
issues, as Sean points out, it is the closest thing we have to named
parameters at the moment. So it should provide the easiest path for
transition later.

-t0